Welcome to the Circle Woods Homeowners Forum. The purpose of this forum is to allow a free exchange of ideas, comments and opinions from homeowners as to the operation of the Circle Woods community as well as surrounding areas.

Again Welcome

Halloween

A forum for Circle Woods residents to discuss issues important to our community (proposed development, neighborhood watch, etc.)
MattWarner

Halloween

Post by MattWarner »

Halloween is coming up soon. Any ideas on what to do? I have heard neighborhood costume parade and candy toss. Anyone have ideas out there?
Matt Warner
Winter Pine Ct
Communications Director, CWHA
MattWarner

Re: Halloween

Post by MattWarner »

I think maybe we just emphasize decorating our houses in a scary way? Seems the most manageable while being fun? Should we make this a contest: best halloween decorations for the front of your house? Would all people to dress up and have a reason to walk around the neighborhood in a socially distant way. thoughts?
Matt Warner
Winter Pine Ct
rosenbaj

Post by rosenbaj »

I appreciate you raising the topic. I had been wondering about this too. It's good if the neighborhood can come to a consensus about the plan. Decorating may be a good idea. It keeps the spirit and keeps social distance. I think anything where we pass out or throw candy is problematic (too many possible germs can get shared, and also concerns about the first kids not taking everything if it is self-serve like a bowl set out or individual pieces of candy). I hate to spoil Halloween, but I'd hate it even more if a lot of neighbors got sick. But if anyone has creative ideas out there, let's hear them!
MattWarner

Post by MattWarner »

Agree re candy. Can't do it. The parade has been suggested in order to reward the kids for dressing up. Maybe we can do a front yard decoration and parade event? The parade will take coordination though. Someone will need to organize that, which is my concern. May be worth making a committee to hammer out the details and spread the word to participants. Think we could do a pretty good word-of-mouth campaign to those of us with kids.

Thoughts? Other ideas?
Matt Warner
Winter Pine Ct
JimMaiwurm

Post by JimMaiwurm »

For reference, the recently released CDC guidance for fall activities:

NPR Story about CDC Halloween Guidelines:
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... =algorithm

Detailed CDC Guidelines:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... #halloween

CDC: Lower risk activities

These lower risk activities can be safe alternatives:
  • Carving or decorating pumpkins with members of your household and displaying them
    Carving or decorating pumpkins outside, at a safe distance, with neighbors or friends
    Decorating your house, apartment, or living space
    Doing a Halloween scavenger hunt where children are given lists of Halloween-themed things to look for while they walk outdoors from house to house admiring Halloween decorations at a distance
    Having a virtual Halloween costume contest
    Having a Halloween movie night with people you live with
    Having a scavenger hunt-style trick-or-treat search with your household members in or around your home rather than going house to house
CDC: Moderate risk activities
  • Participating in one-way trick-or-treating where individually wrapped goodie bags are lined up for families to grab and go while continuing to social distance (such as at the end of a driveway or at the edge of a yard)
    If you are preparing goodie bags, wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 second before and after preparing the bags.
    Having a small group, outdoor, open-air costume parade where people are distanced more than 6 feet apart
    Attending a costume party held outdoors where protective masks are used and people can remain more than 6 feet apart
    A costume mask (such as for Halloween) is not a substitute for a cloth mask. A costume mask should not be used unless it is made of two or more layers of breathable fabric that covers the mouth and nose and doesn’t leave gaps around the face.
    Do not wear a costume mask over a protective cloth mask because it can be dangerous if the costume mask makes it hard to breathe. Instead, consider using a Halloween-themed cloth mask.
    Going to an open-air, one-way, walk-through haunted forest where appropriate mask use is enforced, and people can remain more than 6 feet apart
    If screaming will likely occur, greater distancing is advised. The greater the distance, the lower the risk of spreading a respiratory virus.
    Visiting pumpkin patches or orchards where people use hand sanitizer before touching pumpkins or picking apples, wearing masks is encouraged or enforced, and people are able to maintain social distancing
    Having an outdoor Halloween movie night with local family friends with people spaced at least 6 feet apart
    If screaming will likely occur, greater distancing is advised. The greater the distance, the lower the risk of spreading a respiratory virus.
JimMaiwurm

Post by JimMaiwurm »

I was sad to see that an open-air costume parade is considered moderate risk. Could we find ways to make that safer? Split the kids up into small groups, require face masks, etc. Maybe do a parade up and down Circle Woods drive, so there are places where spectators could stand more than six feet from the sidewalk?

Beyond that, I like Matt's idea of some kind of home decorating contest-- maybe including some scavenger hunt elements so families could do a neighborhood scavenger hunt?

Do a pumpkin carving contest, too?

We need to consider how people find out about this-- we have ways to reach HOA members and residents, but what about people who come from outside the neighborhood to trick or treat? Looking for a way to avoid the scenario where we tell our kids it's not safe for them to trick or treat, but then still have to deal with people from outside the neighborhood ringing doorbells all evening.
MattWarner

Post by MattWarner »

Thanks for the posts! Based on this chain and conversations with neighbors, sounds like

1) House decorating contest
2) Pumpkin carving contest

This seems like a nice start to get people to walk around while feeling festive.

sounds like a parade carries moderate risk of spread. How do we encourage/reward kids for dressing up?

Also, candy is out altogether, I think. yes?

Thanks,
Matt Warner
Winter Pine Ct
rosenbaj

Post by rosenbaj »

That seems reasonable, Matt. It preserves some of the fun but hopefully keeps risk levels low. Could we post something on the sign at the front of the community alerting people to the change? Could we send post cards or put fliers at each door? I would be happy to help distribute them. This is a big change from usual, and I want to give people enough notice. Especially people who may not have kids and aren't thinking about Halloween in the era of covid.
pilgerc

Post by pilgerc »

I vote for the pumpkin carving contest.
rosenbaj

Post by rosenbaj »

I spoke with several of my neighbors who do not have children, and they were all relieved to hear we are not inclined to Trick or Treating this year. So I think that is the right choice. And that we need to be sure to notify the neighborhood so people aren't left wondering.