Welcome to the Circle Woods Homeowners Forum. The purpose of this forum is to allow a free exchange of ideas, comments and opinions from homeowners as to the operation of the Circle Woods community as well as surrounding areas.

Again Welcome

Demolition of the old Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) North Bridge over I-66 during daytime and nighttime hours

This is a forum to post general announcements of interest to the Circle Woods community (events, meetings, get-togethers, etc.). All confirmed announcements will be posted in the 'Calendar of Events', located on the Circle Woods main page (circlewoods.org).
Jacqueline Balcells

Demolition of the old Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) North Bridge over I-66 during daytime and nighttime hours

Post by Jacqueline Balcells »

FAIRFAX – Demolition of the old Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) North Bridge over I-66 during daytime and nighttime hours is scheduled to begin next week. Demolition of the old bridge will overlap next week with utility work on the new Route 123 Bridge over I-66 and require overnight lane closures on I-66 East and West.

What's Ahead for the Week of January 5:

- Daytime demolition of portions of the bridge not over I-66 travel lanes is scheduled to begin Tuesday, January 5.
- Nighttime demolition of the bridge over I-66 East travel lanes is scheduled to begin Thursday night, January 7.
- Demolition work will continue during the overnight hours through the week with removal of the concrete bridge deck for each span, followed by removal of the bridge girders.
- When possible, demolition will occur during daytime hours, but portions of the bridge over I-66 must be demolished during nighttime hours when multiple lanes of I-66 can be closed for safety.
- Demolition of the original Route 123 bridges over I-66 is anticipated to take approximately 8 to 12 weeks.
- Additional details on planned bridge demolition are available here (http://outside.transform66.org/document ... _final.pdf).

What Drivers Should Expect:

Wednesday, January 6, through Friday, January 8
I-66 East and West between Jermantown Road and Blake Lane

- A single lane will close at 9 p.m.
- Three lanes will close by 11 p.m. for overhead utility work and bridge demolition at Route 123.
- All lanes will open by 5 a.m.

All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.

A new bridge over I-66 opened on December 30 for northbound Route 123 traffic. Southbound Route 123 traffic will shift to the new bridge in coming weeks as well, which will be followed by demolition of the old Route 123 South Bridge.

Demolition progress and updates will be posted regularly to the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project’s Route 123 webpage (http://outside.transform66.org/about_th ... e_road.asp) and sent to the project email list. The Route 123 Interchange is being rebuilt to add Express Lanes access to and from the east and west and construct a new shared-use path.

Construction and lane closure updates are available at Transform66.org and on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA. To receive project updates automatically by email, sign up here (http://bit.ly/3neOM9m).